Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Seeing Red



If I had to choose only one artist as my favourite it would without hesitation be Mark Rothko

Red One
Many of Rothko's canvases were monumental in size in the late 1950s and early 1960s. 

He was quoted as saying that he wanted to express "basic human emotions - tragedy, ecstasy, doom...

The people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious experience I had when I painted them."

 To see a  huge Rothko painting in person is extraordinary. It's one of my  favourite things to do while in New York City.   Any art lover needs to experience it at least once. It will take your breath away. And that, is what art is all about. It's definitely not  "a pretty picture".


The above piece  was painted on raw canvas soaking, staining and applying layer after layer of paint.
  Not by Rothko. 
It's my tribute to an artist who  subconsciously influenced me in my teens before I had even heard his name.  


No comments: