Sunday, March 15, 2015

DIY Jean Jacket Upcycle Using Jacquard iDye.


 Last summer I bought this jean jacket.  As you can see, it was white. I mean really white. 
We're talking Ku Klux Klan seal of approval white.  It just was too stark and blinding  and I hardly ever wore it. 
So, having seen a demo of dying fabric with the popular Annie Sloan Chalk Paint which looked easy and  totes do-able, I decided to give it a shot using the colour Florence, a sort of bright  turquoise-bluey green. 


The results weren't great. The colour was washed out and uneven. I wasn't thrilled with the outcome, especially when you consider the cost of 1 litre  of ASCP is  about 50 bucks.  I already had the paint and wasn't doing anything with it so that was no biggie....You might be happy if your goal is a soft pastel but that's not me.  Back to the drawing, I mean dyeing board.


  This morning I thought, Hey Jude... what have you got to lose and I grabbed  a pack of Jacquard iDye in Deep Orange ( actually 2 packs cuz I love bright juicy colour)
 I followed the instructions- even wore gloves! 
I usually hate wearing rubber gloves,  (or as I've been known to call them, 'hand condoms' )  but didn't want my hands to look like two weird and deformed pumpkins.

Here's the 1st packet going into the warm water on the stove.

 No, this isn't  the Thai butternut  squash soup I make, it's the water after adding a second packet.

In goes the jacket-no turning back now.


 Added one cup of salt as per the instructions and let it simmer away for 30 minutes, stirring every five or so. So far, so good.

 Carefully removed from the big pot and rinsed it in cool water. Helps to have a double sink in the garage cuz this stuff really stains!   
Then one washer and dryer cycle and voila!


Fresh out of the dryer, so toasty warm.
Felt great putting it on.
A whole new look.

  Even Sammy can't resist.

Success!  Love the new look. Now I'm hooked on iDye.

 What can I dye next......???

 Here's a fun video using the same product. 
I love this guy!



No comments: